Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Wife of A Cop

I have been asked what seems like a thousand times, "What's it like being married to a cop?" "Do you worry all the time about your husband?" "Is it scary being married to a cop?" And honestly, I've never lived in fear or worry or anxiety over Roger's job. I've always trusted in his training, his skills and his instincts. And as a wife of a cop, you just can't live that way...always wondering if today is the day your husband won't come home. If you let yourself think that way, you would drive yourself insane.

Today, an Arlington Police Officer died on duty. He was a motorcycle cop and he collided with a school bus. Obviously, between a man on a motorcycle and a school bus, the school bus is going to win. Sadly, he died at the scene.

This loss of an Arlington Police Officer has just devastated me. The officer was young, with a wife and a 2-year old son. All I can think about is this woman, who must have been just going about her normal day, and then in an instant, her world as she knew it is gone. Her son is so young, he will never really know his father. She is now a single mother. And a widow. And it was all just a tragic accident. An accident that could happen to anyone.

For me, it's been a dose of reality. A day like today makes me think that no job is worth losing a husband or a father to. I'm so sad for this woman who I don't even know because I know her worst fear came true today. A fear that she probably never let herself dwell on, like I never let myself dwell on. I think my coping mechanism is to live in a bubble that my husband is always going to come home, that he is always going to be safe, that he's never going to be that one. The reality is that any day, he could be that one. So today, it's hard to be the wife of a cop. Today, the reality of his job really hit home. I know that tomorrow, it won't be so fresh, and my emotions so raw. And in a few days, I'll be back to my delusion, normal self. But today, I'm real and it's been heart breaking.

2 comments:

  1. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora Lee I love your face! I love your honesty and your care for someone else! I love and thank Rodger for what he does! My dad was in the military and I used to wonder how my mom did it! I think you're amazing and strong and wonderful! you just do it! Thanks for all you and your family does! You're the best! miss you!

    ReplyDelete