Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Field Trip: Country Critters


Alex had his first ever field trip today. It was so fun! We went out to Country Critters, a pumpkin patch. All the kids rode a school bus over there, which was a first for Alex. I can't remember how long he's been asking me, "when do I get to ride a bus?" Finally! He's ridden the bus. That's one for his bucket list. I have to say, I was very impressed with the field trip over all. It was very organized and well-run. We went from station to station, with about 10 minutes or so at each one. We had beautiful weather! Overall, it was a really fun day.

Our first station was the hay ride, except minus the hay. So I guess it was really just a tractor ride. And honestly, I wasn't too sad about the lack of hay because hay+Alex+asthma=no fun. Our next stop was the first bounce house. When I asked Alex what his favorite part of the day was, he said the bounce houses. He loved them! After the bounce house we had sack races, then wooden horse races. Both were really fun activities for a group of 5 year-olds. After that, we headed into the pumpkin patch where the kids picked out a small pumpkin. And we took advantage of the photo opps!



After everyone picked a pumpkin, the kids went to a station to decorate them. Then it was time for lunch! We had a really nice picnic lunch. After lunch, we went on to a maze, which the kids had a blast running through. And what a perfect post lunch activity! And they also spent some time "roping" some cows.


Impressive, huh? Who knew my husband was so handy with a rope? Next we headed over to story time, where a sweet older lady read a story to the kids, while the kiddos enjoyed a cookie and some juice. From there we went to another bounce house, more pictures, a bean bag toss, a petting zoo, a playground area and finally another ride in a "train." I am really grateful that Roger and I were able to be with Alex today for his first field trip. I'm grateful that both my kids were healthy today. Addison was healthy and went to preschool, so Roger and I were both able to go on the field trip. And Alex was healthy, so he could go and enjoy his first field trip. I'm grateful that Roger could also be there to share this fun day with Alex, even though he only had a few hours of sleep. I'm grateful the weather was so beautiful. I'm grateful that Roger and I could spend a day with Alex again. It's probably the thing I miss the most -- these week days when we were all together as a family. Just having fun together! So first ever field trip: SUCCESS! Looking forward to the next one in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment