Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Tale of Two Bouquets

Happy Valentine's Day! This past Wednesday I was at my parents house when the doorbell rang. There was an elderly lady at the door, so I opened it. She asked, "Nancy McNiel?" And I answered, "No, that's my mother." And she replied, "Oh, well I have some flowers for her if you can sign for them." So of course, I accepted her delivery of flowers. As the woman handed me the box that contained my mother's bouquet of flowers, I noticed that it actually contained two bouquets of flowers, one for my mother and one for my sister. I knew that the flowers were from my dad for Valentine's Day. I teased my sister a little that Dad sent her flowers. But secretly, deep down, I was hoping that I might also get a bouquet of flowers delivered to me from my dad. Well, about Friday, I gave up that hope that I was getting flowers too. And, in true McNiel fashion, went on to give my dad an extremely hard time about buying flowers for my sister and not any for me. I mean really, what the ??? I know it was childish to tease my dad about how unfair that was...I mean really, haven't I out grown that? Apparently not. Deep down, it did hurt my feelings that he bought her flowers and didn't include me in that gesture of love. So today after church, I had flowers waiting for me. I'm not sure if my teasing got the better of my dad, or if my sensible mother felt sorry for me and insisted that he buy me some flowers too. Either way, it was nice to be included. I'm still working on getting over my hurt feelings. I'm sure there are some deep rooted, childhood issues that are being brought up to the surface here...Some days, I really believe I need a psychiatrist. Ha, ha! And on that note, love to all on this Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment