Sunday, May 17, 2009

Milk Allergy Update


This is my sweet, little Addison. She is officially a year old. Unfortunately, "little" is literal -- she is really little. She started out really strong...and chunky!
Around December though her weight started to plateau. And she's even lost a little weight. We have dealt with a milk allergy since she was around a month old. I willingly gave up milk products in order to breastfeed. But clearly, my milk supply is not sustaining her. And we've battled ear infection, after ear infection, after ear infection...
At her one year check up this past week, her pediatrician was concerned about several things. First off, her weight gain, or should I say, lack of weight gain. Second, she has degressed on a milestone -- she used to stand up and now won't even put her feet down or put weight on her feet. Third, she isn't reaching new milestones (she won't put her feet down, so she is no where near walking or even standing). And to top it all off, we have this milk allergy to work around. And ear infections!
It has been really challenging to get calories into Addison. She doesn't eat well when she has an ear infection, which is almost all the time. She isn't crazy about many table foods. But she pitches a fit if I try giving her baby food. I'm so frustrated and worried about her! What is a mother to do?
So one of our next steps with Addison is a referral to see a GI (pediatric gastrointestinal doctor), with a diatician to also help us. The GI, however, wants a blood test done before she sees Addison. So tomorrow we are off to Cookes for a blood draw. I am dreading it so much. We've done this with Alex and it is no picknick! I'm just hoping this blood draw will give us some insight into her allergies (does she still have a milk allergy, does she have other food allergies, are other things normal, like her thyroid?).
And in the meantime, her pediatrician wanted us to try a little dairy to see how she does with it. She told me that one of the best ways to get her more calories is through dairy. So Friday, Saturday and today I've given her a couple tablespoons of yogert. She didn't have a bowel movement yesterday, but had one tonight. And so far, no signs of eczema (which is usually a sign that something is bothering her system). But Friday night she didn't sleep...she was up every two hours. Last night, she slept through the night. Is she reacting to the yogert? Seriously, how do I know? I don't. So I'm going to keep trying the yogert and see how she does.
After Alex, I just wanted a healthy, easy, ravenous, kid. One who would eat and sleep. Clearly, that just isn't in the cards for me. And believe me, I know there are sicker kids out there. I see them when I go to the children's hospitals. And I try to be grateful for the health that my children do have. But it doesn't make it any easier, nor do I worry any less. Maybe blogging about it will be theraputic for me. Trying to stay positive about tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Hey girl, its Amber! You know, Lindseys sister..yeah that one! When I saw you had a blog, I just had to say hi. And then when I read your entry I had to suggest that they look into a gluten intolerance. I have studied it lots, as I was diagnosed before I got preggers with number 5, and plan to work on that after Mallory is born. But, in children, it causes weight loss or at least minimal weight gain. They are not able to absorb nutrients if they have celiacs or gluten sensitivity. Just thought I would throw it out there, something to read about and ask the GI about. She is so stinkin cute though!! I hope everything goes well tomorrow!! Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh Nora... what sort of unwind shall we go for tomorrow afternoon? A trip to the mall? An entire keg of diet dr pepper? Relief from one or both of the kiddos? A friendly neighbor to keep you company after what will unfortunately be a difficult morning? Whatever you need, I'm here!!! If nothing else, dinner is on the table... not sure what it will be yet, but don't plan on cooking. I've got ya covered! Love ya girlie! Hang in there... Alex has managed to do just fine despite the issues so Addison surely will too... she may just take a few more years off your life in the mean time. That's what kids are for, right?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She just won't have to worry about weight like the rest of us! Seriously she will be fine but it sucks to have to worry through it! Please let me know if you need anything!!!!! I can watch the kids so you and Lindsey can go out. It just has to be in the afternoon...getting root canals in the am. Peace out homey! I love your guts and Addison's little skinny guts. :)

    ReplyDelete