Sunday, May 31, 2009

Milk Allergy Update II

I heard from Addison's pediatrician tonight (you've got to love a doctor that makes house calls, on a weekend, and after 9 p.m.... but that's a whole 'nother post). So, good news and bad news on the allergy front. Good news: Addison's allergy screen showed no milk allergy. So what is she allergic to? Soy. Ugh! Soy is almost as bad as milk. And maybe I should have clued in to this months ago. When her doctor told me that she had a milk allergy when she was just weeks old, I was a little dumbfounded because I really didn't drink that much milk. I drank soy milk. Well, duh! She's allergic to it! Her tests also showed she was anemic, which the doctor said is common with children with allergies because they lose blood in their stool. Oops, was that TMI (too much information)? And her thyroid is a little on the low end of normal.

From here, we're still waiting to get in to see the GI. And her pediatrician is forecasting more tests in the future. She said some other stuff that I didn't quite catch all of...love cell phones, but sometimes it's hard to hear on them. And for those who mentioned celiac...thank you. I asked the pediatrician about it. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough blood to run that test. But we will. I feel somewhat better knowing something...anything! And I can really start watching her soy intake, especially in processed foods! Now, it's not a free for all on milk. We're still slowly introducing it into her diet. But what a relief to know more specifically what she is reacting to these days. I love modern medicine! I'm just praying that we can get Addison where she needs to be nutritionally, and that she will feel and be healthy soon! I'll keep you posted as things progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment