Wednesday, July 29, 2009

An Ordinary Tuesday Made Extraordinary

I have to confess that some days, I don't enjoy my job as a mommy. Let's be honest, being a full-time mother is a tough job -- you cook, clean, cook, clean, and work, work, work, just to get up the next day and do it all over again. And it's sometimes gross...like wiping a runny nose all day long or being sneezed on about 100 times.
But then a day comes along like yesterday and I think how lucky I am to be a stay-home mom! Yesterday was Tuesday and Patrick's birthday, my younger brother. Tuesdays are my play group days with my friends from church. So the kids and I went to the library for story time and then we went to McDonald's for lunch. Afterwards, I came home, put Addison down for a nap, and then baked a yellow birthday cake...from scratch. What working mother could have baked a cake from scratch on a Tuesday afternoon? Not many! Then I made a delicious chocolate icing. And then made my brother his favorite dinner, the Kraft spaghetti from a box. It was so fun to bake and cook for him to make his birthday special!

Now don't get me wrong, my being a stay-home mom comes at a great sacrifice for my family. Roger bears the weight of being the sole provider for our family. And we both work here and there to earn whatever extra money we can! And I'm NOT in anyway bashing the moms who divide their time between two jobs -- working outside the home and working at home. But I wouldn't trade being home for any thing. Because I wouldn't have the time with my children to do things like story time, or the time to do things like bake a cake on a Tuesday for my brother. So I wouldn't trade my job for anything...well at least not today anyways! Happy Birthday Patrick -- he's a great brother and uncle!

1 comment:

  1. FUN!!! I love that you're a SAHM too! :)
    Cake looks yummy... a little disappointed that it didn't find its way next door but WHATEVER!! Hehe. Just kidding!

    Now, when you have those frustrating moments, just look back at this blog post and repeat the words "I am grateful to stay home!" like 50 times, or more if necessary to actually feel it! :) :) :)
    You're such a great mom to Alex and Addison and a fantastic second-mommy to Lacey! We're all lucky to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete