Saturday, November 7, 2009

And The Day Turned Out Just Fine!

After yesterday's disappointment over not going to the zoo today, I tried to think of something fun that Alex and I could do at home to help pass the morning. He wanted to buy some sugar cookie dough at the store yesterday and I normally won't let him...why buy sugar cookie dough? But I caved yesterday and let him buy the packaged stuff. So this morning we rolled it out and made turkey cookies using our hands as patterns. He saw this one day on Nick Jr (I think). He was thrilled to do this little project! So on parchment paper, I traced and cut out his hand print to use as our turkey cookie cutter.



Here we have the dough rolled out and our cookie cutter in place. I just cut the hand out of the cookie dough.

And here is his final, iced product. I know it doesn't look much like a turkey. But it made him so happy!

My parents ended up coming over with gifts of books for Alex and Addison. They took us to lunch, which was really fun since we've been pretty much quarantined in our house for days. Later, I took the kids over to my parents. They enjoyed so much helping my mom decorate for Thanksgiving, playing outside, and "raping" leaves...Alex kept calling it raping instead of raking. I'm just waiting for him to say that at his conservative, Lutheran preschool. Nice. Then Papa, the sucker he is for his grandkids, ordered pizza for dinner. Alex told me it was the best day! In the end, it just reminded me again that it really doesn't matter what we do, just as long as we're spending time together. That is all that really matters to him. I wish I could remember that more often. And at the end of the day, the day turned out to be just fine!

1 comment:

  1. Reading this totally reaffirms to me the same "lesson"-- what matters most is the time we spend with the kids and we don't have to knock ourselves out doing "big" things. I am glad your day turned out so well after all. You are a great mommy!!

    ReplyDelete