Sunday, June 27, 2010

Swim Lessons

Time is flying by! The end of June is nearly here...I can't believe it! It's been a fun, busy month. Kinda on a whim, I decided to enroll Alex in swim lessons at our gym. Roger and I had been talking about starting him in swim lessons, and lamenting a little that we hadn't taught him to swim already. So I looked into it and signed him up. I was so pleased with his lessons. His teacher was great...Alex really took to him. His class was small, two boys and two girls. It was Monday through Thursday for two weeks. So for those two weeks, we spent a lot of time at the gym and in the pools. Alex was nervous about taking swim lessons. He even prayed the night before he started that he wouldn't drown. I'm pleased to report that he indeed did NOT drown. And even really enjoyed the lessons. He's not swimming on his own yet. And we're starting another two weeks of lessons on July 5th. Hopefully, after this next round of lessons, he might be swimming solo.


One skill they worked on was the simple motion of using your arms. They told the kids to make big ice cream scoops in the water. Worked like a champ for my little ice cream eater!

Another skill they practiced was kicking. Here one of the teachers is splashing water up on the kids. This was to help them get used to having the water in their faces.

Alex is practicing floating on his back. He's still nervous in the water, but loves it. I'm hoping that nervousness will turn into confidence and he'll take off like a fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment